The art and musings of Illinois artist C.C. Godar. Paintings, photos & ponderings...

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cairns

I love to build cairns wherever I go. Cairns are simply man-made piles of rocks, often used as landmarks or as trail markers.  There are National Parks where cairn-building is forbidden, because unofficial ones would tend to confuse hikers.

I build my cairns as a way to say a surprise "hello" to anyone who happens to find them.  This one was built on the rocky shore of Lake Superior, just north of Washburn, Wisconsin.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, Lola! I think it's really cool that our blogs featured cairns at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to see a book called ROCKPEOPLE by Joel Carter. I met him on line in a different forum some years ago and am no longer in touch, but he wrote this book which chronicles a spiritual journey where he listens to the rocks and builds cairns. It's a beautiful little book featuring pictures of his cairns and poems he wrote to accompany them. If you can't locate it, I'd be glad to show you my copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I really like seeing yours also -- :~) I feel inspired to do something like this with the stones I brought home from my special place in Michigan (in the spring). They've just been in a ring around the lilac, but I think they need to speak louder now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to read that book! And you're welcome --- start stacking!

    ReplyDelete